Friday, May 13, 2011

Power Pancakes 2.0, Gratitude, Super Dal

     Along with all the baking I did this weekend, I also whipped up and froze my 2nd time batch of protein pancakes, and without protein powder!  I switched them to the fridge the night before I wanted them. 
Coconut Power Pancakes
The nutrition is off the hook with a solid amount of fiber and protein, yet still super tasty (click nutrition-without seeds/fruit added in).  #1 The key is garbanzo, coconut flour, and egg whites.  They were a bit dry so maybe coconut milk, and less garbanzo flour and baking powder. The pancakes alone were actually quite tasty, fluffy and light, flavorful and a little sweet!
  • 6T Garbanzo Flour
  • 2T Coconut Flour
  • 2t Baking Powder
  • 2t Cinnamon
  • 2 Egg Whites
  • 5 Drops Stevia
  • Vanilla
  • Fair amount of unsweetened almond milk (until good consistency)
  • Add in pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, raspberries, blueberries, dried fruit, cacao nibs...
 Seeds were the best addition to during cooking and although I ate on the go, sauces/toppings would help  the moisture factor. More fresh fruit cooked in would benefit as well! This breakfast kept me full for a while so I would maybe make 2/3 of the recipe for one person (the above changes would probably do the trick). Just mix ingredients and pour 3-5" pancakes on a griddle, flipping after bubbling for a while (if you roll non-greased like me!).
Some more Gratitude:
I Am Whole
 Probably now my go to grain bowl at Cafe Gratitude. I love it.  The Kim Chee is just a bit spicy and not too acidic, and the Teriyaki Almonds sweetness and nice crunch balance out the Garlic Tahini Dressing!
 Sea vegetables and kale, steamed quinoa or local brown rice, house-made kim chee, carrots, and sprouts with tahini-garlic sauce and teriyaki almonds.

 I made Channa Dal pretty well for the 2nd time as well!
 Channa Dal Houtzager 
It ended up perfectly sweet, spicy and creamy oozing with flavors and went with the salad and dressing perfectly. 

  • Cardamom, Garam Masala, Basil, Turmeric, Ginger Powder, Ginger Juice, Olive Oil, Agave Nectar
  • Garlic, Fennel, Onion, Dal, Butternut Squash
  • Almonds, Fennel to Garnish
  • Chicken broth and Coconut milk
  • Spinach Avo Salad w/ Ginger-Lemon-Olive oil Dressing
 #2 I did the dressing quickly without thinking and it is so good for how simple it is to throw together (when you have home-bottled ginger and lemon juice in the fridge!). Just saute the vegetables and garlic with the spice combo and then add in steamed butternut squash, rice-cooker made Dal, and extra Chicken Broth and Coconut Milk to make it your desired consistency.  Top with the yummy garnishing and enjoy! #3 The agave nectar is key to sweeten it up just a bit.

2 comments:

  1. I've learned to love the dry pancakes...just add yogurt, nut butter, jelly, frozen fruit or something and it's perfect. I'm currently addicted to pumpkin seeds so those pancakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! yea I can't really do toppings so easily during my first period at school, but I agree I just added pumpkin seeds to my pantry and am running out fast! they get especially nice and crispy and toasted in the pancakes! so tasty and so healthy with the highest protein content of any seed or nut

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...