Tuesday, March 27, 2012

All about Jello

I was quite surprised and stoked (for my problematic knee) when I came upon the idea of gelatin being healthy and that it comes from animals. Guess it's just another one of those lost traditions in our modern food world like real fermented foods, soaking and sprouting beans/grains, and eating organs on a regular basis, or at all.
Awesome Sauce on Shortribs, Steamed Asparagus, Kabocha, Beets
 I've been trying to figure out how to thicken sauces well recently and gave coconut flour a try. It's like magic! Take your liquidy meat juices and make instant delicious thick gravy!
 Awesome Coconut Flour thickened Sauce: liquid from crock pot/slow cooking short ribs, coconut flour, onions, herbs, carrot, tomato, temari
 I made two more loaves of my easy quick bread recipe (rice flour and coconut versions before), and used 1c chestnut flour I spotted at the store plus 1/4c coconut flour. HOLY WOW!
 It's like healthier banana bread. Good as a savory, dessert, or by itself snack.
 I scooped up what was stuck to the bottom to eat right away.
 An epic breaky of Cinn raisin toaster mochi, pastured eggs, strawberries, Lindt 85% melted on my rice toast, upgraded coffee and raw milk=trainer fuel
 Go buy toaster mochi now!
 And onto the jello side of things: here's some epic stock I made using short ribs and lamb shanks, plus some Temari.
 Super congealed and full of amino acids and minerals to support the immune system, gut bacteria, and build healthy joints and tendons. An athletes wet dream!
 I mixed some into this post trainer workout 'salad' mash up.
Smoked salmon (a filet not sliced), greens, parsley, temari beef broth, yam, homemade mayo, leftover steamed broccoli, balsamic, ground pepper.
Finally, you can simply buy gelatin and add it to sauces at the end of cooking, mix, and let cool enough to congeal a bit. Amazingly awesome. I did this with a coconut curry before and it was so bomb, only I didn't get a photo... But I repeated it even better!
 The mountain of steamed veggies to go with: Rhutabaga, Turnip, Cauliflower, Beet (Farmer's Market Party)
 Before digging in...
 Partially congealed, maybe mayo consitency.
 Fully cold and congealed in the fridge, full on jello style.
This was so delicious and I'm in love with the texture and how easy it is to come up with. I heated coconut milk with Parsley, Cilantro, Coconut Aminos (soy sauce sub), Turmeric, juice of 1 Lemon, and a bit of curry paste. Last time I had garlic as well. After getting that together it took 3 packets of Knox Gelatin:1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk (Native Forest) and really getting to cool down for it to become more viscous.

Can't wait to come up with a Bearnaise/Hollandaise Coconut Spread/Sauce to keep in the fridge!

2 comments:

  1. Do the coconut aminos thicken the sauce or just for the health benefits? This all looks amazing bro, as always! Ever tried tapioca or tapioca flour?

    And I love Farmers Market parties! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. for the flavor bro! it's a better version of soy sauce.

    I should get on some tapioca flour. I bought the pearls meaning to make coconut tapioca pudding but never got around to it.

    in this case the party was brought on by my parents as since I cook them lots of veggies now they like them more and wanted to go wild with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...