Sunday, March 6, 2011

Indian Win, Mint Choco Extreme, Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies

Dal Part II
I had just enough Dal leftover to have it again for dinner.  Gone all crazy mixed with Pumpkin for a new life! I'm stepping into new new bounds with the Pumpkin, never really used canned pumpkin for anything except baking or breakfast treats like smoothies and cereals.  I chose some complimentary spices and herbs for Dal and Pumpkin, and then it all worked nicely with salad, pita, and hummus again. #1 The agave nectar was crucial to sweeten the pumpkin, and adding in the creaminess of the Hummus really brought it to life. I need to knockout some ingredients to dial this dish in for sure. 
-1c Dal, 3/4c Pumpkin, Thyme, Garlic, Pepper, Turmeric, Cardamom, Cloves, Agave Nectar 
-Roasted Almonds, Olives
-Same Salad as Lunch w/ Curry Ginger Dressing (Cider Vinegar, Olive Oil, Curry, Thyme, Ginger Juice, Garlic, Sea Salt)
-Wheat Pita and Garlic Hummus
Toor Dal
Dal is officially in my cooking repertoire. This recipe inspired me, but I didn't have onion or fennel so I just made some stuff up. And this recipe inspired my Cumin Tahini Dressing. I've had Dal before in Indian cuisine, but never made it. After a trip to the Indian market (Malabar) on 4th street, I got my Dal in dried form and was ready to go.  #1 I had no idea how to make it in my rice maker, so I went with 1/2c dry to 2c water and hit the go button. It worked! On it's own it's less chalky/cementy than other beans, and gives a little hint of roasted corn flavor? Whatever it is, it's tasty, especially with Dill, Olives, Hummus, Pita, and all the other spices and ingredients I used. Score 1 for first time random Indian Combo Attempt. Everything ended up mixing together in an awesome combo as usual!
-Dal with Olives, Toasted Almonds, Dill Weed
-Spinach, Carrot, Cucumber, and Purple Cabbage Salad
  -Curry Cumin Tahini Dressing (2t Cider Vinegar, 1t Tahini, Cumin, Curry, 1 Clove Garlic, Sea Salt, Water)
-Garlic Hummus on a Wheat Pita
B-Berry Muffin Morphed into a Cookie
I am continuing the quest to make oatmeal cookies as delicious as Mogul's Coffee in Whistler. Today I tried brown sugar, sea salt, cranberries, only olive oil, blueberries, and 400º at 16 minutes as my tweaks to the recipe (I might post it once it's perfected, but until then contact me and I'll pass it on). I had half of one for lunch's dessert. #2 Blueberries are nearly as good as raspberries on top (which are really really good so that's an accomplishment). I am partially pretty pleased with this b/c I used frozen ones but they still tasted legit. Flavor is spot on but it really comes down to the texture. They are epic cookies as usual but I want them to be less light and fluffy, more chewy and more crunchy. I've got a couple of things to try on the next batch (more oats, higher heat, little less oil, less baking powder).
Mint Choco 3.0
Took my Green Tea Mint Chocolate Chip Oatmeal to the next level in a few ways this morning. I added Vanilla and Egg White to the mix, and for the Mint and Vanilla flavoring I gave it everything I got. Extract and Dried/Whole for both Vanilla and Mint. The sweetness came from Stevia Extract and the Vanilla Almond Milk, which was plenty. All the usual toppings and it was so enjoyable. Sweet Vanilla Mint Green Tea Chocolate? Sounds pretty innovative to me...
-1/2c oats, 1c water, drops Vanilla Extract, drops Spearmint Extract, drops Stevia Extract, Dried Spearmint, 1" Ground Vanilla Bean
-Blueberries, Pecans, Cacao Nibs, Cranberries
-Vanilla Almond Milk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...