Saturday, March 5, 2011

California-Thai Fusion, Ramen in SF II, Other Usual Goods

   Tried out another Japanese place in SF called Halu. I got my usual Grilled Eggplant and Seaweed Salad, which were average but satisfying of course, but the highlight was this massive bowl of Vegeterian Shoyu Ramen. Tons of delicious vegetables of all kinds mixed a mass of delicious noodles.  I got a nice hint of ginger every now and then which was delightful. The broth and noodles had an eggy taste which I like for ramen, and all the different kinds of mushrooms were the best texture, making up for not having meat. I slurped it all up! No doubt a worthy bowl of ramen. I did miss not having any nori though.
First Time Tuna Salad/Sandwich
I never liked fish growing up, but have been coming around to it way more in the past year.  Tuna Salad has been gross to me since day one, and still usually is due to heavy use of Mayo. When I discovered and fell in love with the White Bean Tuna Salad from Fish, I was stoked to find a new window of cooking. Canned tuna is super convenient and another great protein source to have on hand.  #1 Not only do "White Bean" Tuna Salads taste delicious and nutritious (mine was mostly beanless because I already figured there was enough fiber for my system to deal with in this mix), but you can pretty much mix in whatever you have on hand and it will be good! Just get some vegetables, herbs and spices, cut finely and mix! I went with plenty of Garlic, Apple Cider Vinaigratte, Parsley and Olives. Enjoyed partially on crispy wheat loaf toast with olive oil and roasted garlic hummus, which brings back the creaminess factor that mayo adds. Going to try a Soy Sauce and Nori themed mix in the future. Just like at Fish, Olives were my highlight ingredient.
-1 can Tuna, some leftover Garbanzo Beans
-Purple Cabbage, Tomato, Cucumber, Shredded Carrot, Black Olives
-2 Cloves Garlic pressed, Apple Cider Vinegar, Olive Oil, Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper
-Roasted Garlic Hummus, Wheat Toast, Olive Oil
Vanilla Strawberry Oatmeal
Actual time to make breakfast = Egg whites as a protein source for my oatmeal! Complimented well by a whole bunch of Vanilla Ingredients, Strawberry, Nuts, and Crisped Rice. Sweet Vanilla Bean and strawberry all around!
-1/2c thick oats, 1c water, 2" fresh ground vanilla bean, several drops vanilla extract, Strawberries
 -More Fresh Strawberries, pecans, almonds, brown rice crisps,
-Agave Nectar
-1 egg white
My Plate
Separate Thai Deliciousness
Went to Citrus and Spice for dinner, pretty much decided to just go with the tried and true favorites. Sweet Potato Yellow Curry and Basil Eggplant Saute.  With some Long Grain Nutty Brown Rice that's really good.  I love the onions, sweet potato, and carrots in the curry, and basil, fried shitakes, and flavorful eggplant in the saute. We got tofu with the Eggplant and Chicken for the curry. More from my review last time here. I still can't get over the flavor in the sauce from the Eggplant dish. It's amazing and I need to find out how!
Dinner Leftovers with Quinoa
The amazing Garlic Lemon Chicken and Steamed Vegetables from last night with some Hummus and Quinoa. It may seem like I cook a lot but really it's just throwing together some things from the fridge usually! The quinoa I threw in the rice maker served double making it into my breakfast and lunch.  Crunchy Cabbage and Soft Carrots for days! #2 Eating via planned leftovers is the way to go.
-Almond Garlic Lemon Chicken
-Steamed Mustard and Carraway Seed Cabbage, Rosemary Thyme Carrots
-Quinoa
-Hummus
Quinoa Cereal 
Similar to the quinoa parfaits I've done in the past, but with my brown rice crisps i've been putting on everything recently.  Maybe it's my yearning for eating boxed cereal like back in the day? Whatever it is, it's crackily crunchy and tasty.  #3 A quality Vanilla-Almond-Honey theme goes so well together.
-1/4c Quinoa (dry), Almond Milk, Almond Butter, Honey
-Blueberries, Pecans, Almonds
-Rice Crisps, Dried Cranberries, Cinnamon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...