Friday, May 20, 2011

Vanilla Power Bites, Super Grain Combos and Awesome Choco Tahini

I am upping my protein intake to 120g per day so these are so convenient!
On the Go Power Vanilla Bean Bites
I haven't made my No Bake Bars in a while and wanted something that was mostly protein with some fat for supplementation/snacking. I was motivated to try this recipe since it seemed even easier than the bars! Plus I got to make changes to my liking! I used the stevia for baking as well but it was too much combined with the stevia that's in my whey powder so I'll leave it out next time.
(Makes 12)
  • 1/2c Coconut Flour
  • 3 scoops or 1/2c Tera's Vanilla Bourbon Whey
  • 1/2c Oat Bran
  • 3T Almond Butter (I used creamy but will def go crunchy next time)
  • 1/4" Ground Vanilla Bean
  • 1T Chia Seeds
  • Plenty of Water
  • Lemon Poppyseed Option (use 2-4T Lemon Juice for the water)
They are quite mushy if you eat them completely defrosted-not too dry or floury at all! I enjoyed them a lot more nearly frozen so you can really bite into them like a cookie.  The Chia Seeds are key! Sort of a Super Sweet Vanilla flavor with yummy granule-ness to it from the Chia Seeds, like a PoppySeed Muffin! I can't wait for Lemon Poppyseed Muffin edition!
For some reason I really wanted this for breakfast.  A Matcha Salt Egg White Avo Nori Wrap!  Takes 2 seconds to make if you have the ingredients ready from before.  I have a supply of hard boiled eggs in the fridge at all times (super convenient protein source).  Super tasty notes of seaweed and green tea, with creamy avocado and savory sea salt!
Choco Tahini Grain Bowl Beginning
After seeing a Whole Athlete Coach John Hunt munching on a bowl of mixed grains on the way to the race the other weekend, tahini, avocado, chia seeds, and whey protein powder on the way to the race the other weekend, and then seeing this creation, I had to try out this new frontier! I already wanted to try some grain combos in the ricer cooker, and be able to use more leftovers for breakfast too.
The Choco Tahini Beginning
First more experimental try had Avocado, 70% Cacao Chocolate, Carob Chips, Chia Seeds, leftover Brown Rice, Almond Milk, Tahini, Vanilla Plant Protein, and Strawberries/Blueberries. I also tried a bit of ginger, cinnamon, and turmeric sprinkled in.  I love biting into the broken choco chunks.  The Chia Seeds play a key crackily crunch role and the Avo-Tahini-Milk-Protein Powder makes a nice thick creamy mix.
Choco Tahini Bowl Attempt #2
 The real deal. Creamy, mushy, and chocolatey goodness! I got to use my delicious grain combo from dinner (below) and don't have any unsweetened baker's chocolate yet so used some Carob Chips.  They were a bit too sugary so for me the unsweetened chocolate will be good.  The sesame from the Tahini combines with a chocolate flavor perfectly. 1c Quinoa, Buckwheat, Millet
  • 1T Tahini
  • 1T Carob Chips
  • 2T Chia Seeds
  • 2T Vanilla Plant Fusion Protein
  • 1/4c Blueberries
  • Almond Milk
  • Ginger/Cinnamon/Turmeric (Optional)

I recommend adding the Tahini, Protein Powder, and Almond Milk in the morning for optimal mixing (less grain absorption/solidifying). The avocado doesn't look the best but is totally worthy if your into it/have it on hand.
Super Grain Combo and Basil Pomegranate Chicken Salad
Pretty much a repeat except in the oven, I didn't have avocado for my pomegranate spinach chicken salad, but it was a sweet flavorful feast anyways! The grain combo takes quinoa and makes it more like brown rice, but much healthier (more protein, fiber and nutrient dense). Red onions baked with the chicken get so sweet, glazed and delicious!
  • Chicken Breast, Dressing below as a marinade, Pine Nuts, Cactus, Red Onion, Basil, S & P,
  • (1c cooked) Millet, Quinoa, Buckwheat (equal parts)
  • Hummus
  • Spinach, Radicchio, Tomato, Olives
  • Dressing: Olive Oil, Pomegranate Juice, Balsamic Vinegar, Basil

1 comment:

  1. Ah you made my day!! Your protein balls look so yum! And that tahini-grain mix looks incredible! I've been thinking of using tahini in my oatmeal. I may have to do so tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...