Monday, May 16, 2011

Race/Travel Eats and My Best Oatmeal Ever

A little race and travel action this weekend, but nothing too extreme so I'm including today's yummy breakfast! I can never sleep well the night after a race for various reasons, one of which is extreme hunger waking me up early.  At first I was bummed this wouldn't let me sleep in until 7 for school, but it gave me the time to eat hot oatmeal for breakfast (vs. overnight) which is especially epic for reasons you'll see below! I ended up so thankful. Plus an afternoon nap won't hurt.
Check out the Creamy White Drizzling
Coconut Tart Bread Pudding Oatmeal
I was looking forward to trying my new Artisana Coconut Butter on something warm, but wasn't prepared for this awesome experience. I now look forward to eating hot breakfasts with it melting over the top so much.  I enjoyed the flaky almost mushy topping before quite a bit, but when it is warm and melted it mixes in way more and turns into a creamy delicious frosting, also kind of sweet somehow. Words can't do it justice.
  • 2.5T Sprouted Quinoa, 2/3c Coconut Milk, 1/2c Oats, 1/3 cup water
  • 1/2T Chia 1/2T Sunflower
  • 1 Date, 2 pieces Dried Mango (add just before done)
  • 10g Plant Fusion Vanilla Protein (1T?)
  • Blueberries, Strawberries
  • 1T Coconut Butter
  #1 If you want your breakfast to become a delicious dessert, that's how it's done.  Combine with another epic discovery of having a sliced Date actually somewhat cooked in! It reminds me so much of bread pudding for some reason.  I think these two phenomenons on top of some tarty tang from dried mango and more delicious coconut milk and chia seeds cooked in and bam!  Favorite oatmeal yet.

Celebratory Race Feast?
    I usually don't feel like eating much after a delicious 600 calorie Big Sur Bar, so combined with a 6 hour car ride and trying to get home before midnight I came up with this creation, which I was totally fine with! I combined some leftover supplies we had with some veggies from a Mexican market off the freeway (I really just wanted a convenient T-Joe's Salad but there was nothing). Pretty weird but so tasty and got the job done.  Some Brown Rice Cakes, Avocado, Olives, and Hard Boiled Egg Whites combined with some purchased Carrots, Cabbage, and chopped / bagged Cactus! The cactus was bitter but almost sweet at the same time. A solid purchase for sure.  Basically partial cracker sandwiches and partial delicious cabbage leaf wraps with some Carrot-Cactus Guac!
    As I've been exploring what my stomach can tolerate/feels like after a race, this time I continued to change things up.  Instead of choosing a real lunch vs. super treat after my Gu-Brew Recovery Drink, I went with both! I was craving real food but didn't feel like missing out on some epic sweets, so I went with some delicious Spinach/Spring Mix Vinaigrette Salad combined with a Basil Pesto Chicken Pasta Salad supplied by the high school team parents!  I ended up not eating the pasta since I could get plenty of carbs from my massive and satisfying Date-Coconut-Pecan party Big Sur Bar, and it wasn't brown rice or whole wheat pasta.  My meal ended up being a clean tasty combo and I got all my desired nutrition with some dialed and easily digestible food!
Bungalow Race Munch!
Bungalow Munch is officially a Whole Athlete-Specialized Team Sponsor! Nothing like the conveniency of bringing the most high quality, organic, munchy granola to the races! A bit of Protein Powder is pretty easy and convenient as well, and really actually goes quite well with granola as it thickens nut milk up nicely, making it more like a creamy yogurt (which is of course perfect for granola)!  
  • 1/2c Bungalow Munch Granola
  • 3/4c Unsweetened Coconut Milk
  • 1.75T Plant Fusion Vanilla Protein
  • Strawberries/Blueberries
I wouldn't mind having this before every race! A creamy fruity toasty vanilla bowl! The Coconut Milk-Bungalow-Vanilla Plant Protein would go great with banana as well.
No mega pre race dinner, I unfortunately had to eat crappy bar food (chicken house salad where the chicken tasted like microwaved ham/airport food), but no matter when I can make my back up dessert fuel. Keeping gluten, wheat, and dairy free! Organic Plain Brown Rice Cakes with Naturally More Almond Butter, Sea Salt, and a Sliced Date. It's a delicious dessert combo that also has great nutrition! A must try combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...