Thursday, March 10, 2011

Holy Orange! Ginger and Pumpkin and Chai Oh My....

Sesame Orange Ginger Glazed Tofu Butternut Squash Salad
Ok, this may not be the most photogenic rendition compared to what the real recipe came up with, but it sure was tasty! I pretty much followed the recipe using tofu, sesame, and then Butternut Squash and Kale of course.  Combining the ideas of the Orange Tempeh Glaze with Butternut Squash Salad, and then adding plenty of good old Sesame.  Some solid tweaks and additions if I don't say so myself.  This is definitely a sweet dish, so if your trying to cut down on the sugar (if your eating like the rest of my meals which have little to none), this isn't the best option. But it tastes damn good! I cooked the Kale with Garbanzo's separately from the Squash/Tofu, but there isn't much of a need. I started with them separate on my plate as well but it looked like a half green-half orange frisbee so I mixed it all up. See the recipe for qty's. I think I might need less sweetness in the sauce next time to account for my taste and the fact that the squash is already sweet! #1 One of my excellent tricks for this meal was taking the sauce after cooking and mixing in Tahini to turn it into a Orange Ginger Tahini Dressing to put on top! It's just under everything in the photo... The only thing else I can say is Sweet Sesame Ginger with Savory hints (Olive/Thyme) for the win!
-Tofu and Butternut Squash, browned and then simmered with the Sauce Mix
   -Ginger, Fresh OJ, Mirin, Temari, Maple Syrup, Ground Coriander, Garlic, Tahini
-Kale and Garbanzos with Pepper, Thyme, Toasted Ground Sesame, Gomasio, Veggie Broth
-Some Olives! (to go with the slightly savory flavors and bite of the Sake in the Mirin)

Bam! Pumpkin Success
Had to use the rest of the can of pumpkin that I opened up for this meal, but wasn't sure how. Decided to do a similar but better version.  It was so good I could of eaten it for days! #2 Canned pumpkin is gross alone but even just sweetening it with a bit of Agave Nectar makes it amazing (could eat just that for a snack), and adding even more complimentary flavors and it's above and beyond tasty. I went with a Sweet but Savory combination of flavors, accompanied by a wheat tortilla-gone toasted pita chips and some steamed vegetables.  Absolutely delicious. Sort of a Mediterranean meets Western extravaganza.
-2/3c can Pumpkin, 1/2c Garbanzo Beans,  2 tsp Agave Nectar, Thyme, 4 Garlic Cloves, Sea Salt and Pepper
-Wheat Pita Chips (tortilla in a pan toasted), Hummus, and Olives
-Steamed Broccoli and Carrots
Pumpkin Chai Spice Overnight Oats
This was actually quite similar to any Pumpkin Spice Oats I've had before, only with more Spicyness.  #3 I got this Indian Masala Spice Blend from my visit to the Malabar Indian Store on 4th, and wanted to try it for some exotic oatmeal, plus had my open can of pumpkin. Turned out to be awesome Chai Spiced Pumpkin goodness! Main similarities with my normal breakfast combinations would be the cardamom and nutmeg flavors, but with more spice to it (probably the addition of peppercorns). Next time I might add more than 1/2 tsp of the Masala blend for a bit stronger flavor. My Indian Tulsi Rose Tea accompanied this bowl perfectly, I think a real Chai would just be an overload.
-60g oats, 170g soymilk, Agave Nectar, 1/2 tsp Masala Blend, 2t Pumpkin
-Blueberries, 5 sliced almonds, 1t Chia Seeds
-5 Dried Cherries

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...